Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Honeycake

I'm glazed from sitting in meetings about H1N1, hand sanitizing, how best to sneeze, peanut allergies and Smart Boards. For some (that would be me), it's the start of a new school year. I think I'm going to have my choruses sing into the crooks of their arms. comments welcome

For some, it's soon the onset of a new year too. Rosh Hashanah, the beginning of the Jewish calendar, means eating lots of sweet food, symbolizing a sweet new year.

So Happy New Year! Go wash your hands!

Make this honeycake asap. Wrap it and store it in the fridge. It'll taste much better if you let it rest (already).

Honeycake

Blue Heron Kitchen

Dark, Dense and Delicious for a Sweet New Year

Ingredients:

½ lb. honey (5 1/3 – 6 oz. or about ¾ c.)

1/3 lb. unsalted butter – softened

1 c. granulated white sugar

1 c. strong, freshly brewed coffee – the coffee should be HOT

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. nutmeg – freshly grated is best

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

2 c. all purpose flour

½ tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 c. raisins, nuts or dried fruit (opt.) – in any combination


Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Sift together the flour, soda, powder and spices and put in Kitchen Aid mixing bowl

Pour hot coffee over the butter and honey

When dissolved, add the sugar and mix well

With paddle attachment on low speed, add wet to dry slowly until paste forms, increase speed to eliminate lumps

Add remainder of wet to dry, gradually but being careful not to overmix.

Add optional dried fruit/nuts etc.

Pour into 2 well greased medium/small loaf pans (2/3 full)

Bake 1 to 1 ½ hours or until tester comes out clean

Cool on rack.

Wrap tightly (flavor improves with time)

2 comments:

jacobg said...

This was delicious!!
The only difficulty that I personally had, was that I left the fruit out, and obviously my loaf tins were on the larger side of medium (they were new and I hadn't used them before). Because of this, the cooking times quite drastically changed.

I originally had the oven set tentatively for 1 hour, and I checked it with 10 minutes to go, and they were getting a bit singed around the edges!

Still delicious and moist and wonderful though.

My Little Blue Heron said...

Jacob, So glad you made the honey cake and had success! Here are some trucs: (I should change the recipe to reflect these, shouldn't I?)

Grease and flour the baking tins for easier release - this cake is a bitch to get out of the pan.

I halve the amount of cloves. Confession: I hate cloves (except in Indian food).

I used candied orange rind and sliced almonds (toast and cool first) - it's a winning combination.

Add some salt. Like 1/2 tsp. I always do. Salt and sweet are natural partners.

If the cake gets 'singed' (Grandpa Julie would have said "boint") around the edges, keep your oven racks in the lower third of the oven. Also, keep a thermometer in the oven. Never trust your oven.

And finally, do attempt to wait to eat this cake - it tastes better with time. (But the batter was my dinner tonight.)

xo

With Metta, from My Little Blue Heron's Kitchen

Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks

Print This Page Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks Adapted from Lyle’s Golden Syrup by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen Dedicated to Leon Pozni...

My Little Blue Heron's Arsenal