Sunday, December 26, 2021

Cranberry Orange Bread - Gluten Free!

Print This Page


Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Bread

Adapted from Colette Martin by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen


I love cranberry bread, and since I was ordered to cut gluten in 2016, this loaf is a taste I've missed. I found this recipe online and tweaked it. It had been stripped of gluten as well as of granulated sugar, dairy and eggs. So, in my quest to recapture the original recipe, I added back as many of those bad boys as I could from the original recipe. Gluten free with crust crunch?!  Crantastic!

Ingredients are listed by weight. Ohhh, please don't sigh or even worse, leave. Here's an inexpensive one, available on Amazon in the U.S. There are so many, and they fluctuate in price. You'll love having this scale in your kitchen. And while you're at Amazon, with Omicron and Delta's dirty dancing, get yourself your very own Covid test! 

I recommend King Arthur "all purpose" gluten-free flour blend (the one without xanthan gum), but if you have a different blend, please do use it.

In New York, you can still find cranberries in the market. Buy a bag or two and freeze! Whole Foods sells frozen cranberries. You only need 1 cup of cranberries for the recipe, so one bag'll last for a few batches. Chop them up frozen and add directly to the batter. Both store bought and freshly squeezed orange juice work well.

I haven't added chopped nuts (yet.) If you do, I'd love to hear from you!

I like to make little mini-loaves and freeze them. You can make a large loaf (8 x 4), smaller loaves, or even cupcakes. 

Like most gluten free baked goods, this loaf is most delicious when cooled and enjoyed, freshly baked. I hope you'll enjoy this old fave as much as I've loved savoring this taste memory.

peace, love and good health to you, 
jane


Cranberry Orange Bread - Gluten Free


Equipment: Loaf pan or muffin pan, mini muffin pans or small loaf pans, hand or stand mixer

Ingredients:
 
340 g. Gluten free flour blend of choice (without xanthan gum) I prefer King Arthur brand
6 g. flaxseed meal
3 g. xanthan gum
12 g. baking powder
2 g. salt
3/4 milk of choice (I use dairy free milk)
1/4 c. orange juice
2 eggs, size large, room temperature
1/3 c. melted butter or mild tasting vegetable oil
149 g. granulated white sugar
1 c. cranberries, fresh or frozen, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. orange zest (no pith!)

Procedure:

1.    Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Light oil or spray with release loaf pan or line muffin cups with paper liners

2.    In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.

3.    In the bowl of a stand mixer, or if using a hand mixer, in another large bowl, combine wet ingredients with sugar and eggs, blending until well-combined (about 2 minutes), scraping down, if necessary.

4.    Dump in the blended dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Add chopped cranberries and orange zest. Blend on low until just combined.

5.    Pour into prepared pan or pans. Bake in the middle of pre-heated oven. Time will vary, depending upon size of pan. For one large loaf, approx. 45-55 min. (check after 40 minutes), less for smaller loaves, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

6.    Release from pan or pans and cool on rack. Serve slightly warm or completely cooled. If wrapping, wait until completely cooled. Wrap and store in fridge or freeze.










No comments:

With Metta, from My Little Blue Heron's Kitchen

Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks

Print This Page Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks Adapted from Lyle’s Golden Syrup by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen Dedicated to Leon Pozni...

My Little Blue Heron's Arsenal