Saturday, May 22, 2010

Asparagus Pesto

Asparagus Pesto was offered in the Times a couple of weeks ago, and after buying some beautiful asparagus today at the Kennedy Plaza Farmer's Market in Long Beach, NY, I pulled out my food processor and toasted some pine nuts.

Captain Kitchen, my adorable daughter, just got a new food processor.  So, this one's for you, Sweetheart!

Don't limit yourself to pine nuts (did you know they come from pine cones?)  You can toast up any nut to make pesto.  Walnuts come to mind.

I cut down dramatically on the amount of olive oil (but I never cut down on the quality of the oil) when I make it.  The biggest difference will be in the texture.  Oh, and oil will 'round' the flavor. This looks pretty creamy, doesn't it?




Asparagus Pesto
Adapted from Mark Bittman by Blue Heron Kitchen

Ingredients:
Kosher Salt
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 clove garlic, or more to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted and cooled
1/4 cup excellent quality extra virgin olive oil
(more or less, to taste – I use much less – closer to half the amount -  to reduce calories and fat)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste.


Procedure:
1. In a frying pan or a sauté pan, large enough to hold them, bring the asparagus with some water and some salt, to a boil, cover and cook until fully tender. Drain and let the asparagus cool slightly.
2. Cut into two or three inch pieces and transfer the asparagus to a food processor. Add the garlic, toasted pine nuts, some of the olive oil, Parmesan, and a pinch of salt. Process the mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container if necessary. Gradually add the remaining oil. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Serve over pasta, fish, chicken or roasted vegetables.

Can be covered and refrigerated for up to one day.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings




I love cauliflower.


I pestoed my steamed organic cauliflower in a cast iron gratin dish, first rubbed with garlic and then sprayed with olive oil.  I threw in sautéed mushrooms and garlic (get 'em at the market!) and some julienned Applegate Farms slow cooked ham.  








I topped it off with the asparagus pesto, then some more grated Parmesan cheese and baked it at 375º F.  Low calorie, hugely healthful and SO delicious.  You can leave out the meat, but I like ham - especially with mushroom and asparagus and parmesan cheese.

No comments:

With Metta, from My Little Blue Heron's Kitchen

Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks

Print This Page Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks Adapted from Lyle’s Golden Syrup by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen Dedicated to Leon Pozni...

My Little Blue Heron's Arsenal