Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I Heart Celeriac (Cheater's Celery Remoulade)



I love the taste of celery root. This knobby, ugly root, when peeled and julienned in your Cuisinart (or if you're a fan of the quiet, meditative state you achieve during what I call "chop therapy", by hand), is easily transformed into one of the most refreshing salads.

Julia Child's recipe in MTAOFC for this salad is the best one, but it calls for a ton of olive oil. My recipe uses .... bottled dressing. I'm serious.

To cut down on both calories and time, I came up with a quick and low calorie/fat recipe that Julia would despise. But as much as she's my dead hero and it's terrible to say anything bad about her, here goes:


Buy a celery root at the farmer's market.  It's also called celeriac.  Buy a young, firm and fresh one.
Peel it and julienne it - either in the food processor or by hand.
Sprinkle generously with vinegar.  I used organic rice wine vinegar.
Here are some other acids to try:  lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, champagne vinegar.  Let it sit for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, chop up a bunch of fresh parsley (buy it at the market) and mix it in.
To this, add about 6 Tbsp., more or less to taste of Annie's Naturals Lite Honey Mustard Vinaigrette.   You can buy this dressing at Whole foods, Fairway, Wild By Nature or any health conscious, well-stocked market or health food store. When all else fails, buy it online.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Marinate in fridge overnight.
This salad gets a little better each day.
And then, like all good things ... it's gone.

peace, love and happy summer,
jane

No comments:

With Metta, from My Little Blue Heron's Kitchen

Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks

Print This Page Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks Adapted from Lyle’s Golden Syrup by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen Dedicated to Leon Pozni...

My Little Blue Heron's Arsenal