Sunday, December 9, 2018

Blueberry Cardamom Chia Pudding

-->
Chia Pudding with Blueberries and Cardamom
Adapted from Gena Hamshaw by My Little Blue Heron


Chia was always a novelty item that grew into an animal that looked like green upstate roadkill. They sold it at the drug store for $10. I think they grew it into other shapes too, maybe Santa? I will call this my pet chia pudding.


Some people have issues with the texture (kinda like tapioca meets large quinoa). Here's why (especially for vegans/vegetarians and people seeking these nutrients): Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron, and calcium. A 28-gram, or 1-ounce, serving of chia seeds also contains 5.6 grams of protein. Interest piqued? 

This pudding will win you over to the acquired taste. It’s delicious. It’s beautiful in color. Add it to or add to it: layer it with overnight oats, yogurt (dairy or non-dairy), mixed into smoothies, cereal, or sprinkle some granola or nuts or fresh or dried fruit over it. On its own, it's purple chia haze. 

You’ll need ground cardamom (I grind my own so it’s really fragrant and fresh). The original recipe calls for fresh blueberries, but I make mine with frozen organic blueberries that I buy in large bags at a really great price at Whole Foods and it’s yum. Frozen or fresh, when you can, use organic berries. Use unsweetened almond milk. My favorite is Califia. They make an unsweetened vanilla that rocks. Maple syrup isn’t inexpensive. I buy mine at Costco or Trader Joe’s. Vanilla extract? It’s a fortune. I’ve been making my own with bourbon and vodka and used vanilla beans – it takes time, but the result is lovely and will save you some cash. Vanilla powder is great. Authentic Foods makes a good one, but there’s some sugar in it. Most vanilla extracts have some sugar added – even my holy grail vanilla extract, Baldwins, has sugar. grrrr.

I make this and I freeze it in ½ cup containers. It’s great for snacks and school lunches. 

This may become your first and last chia pudding recipe.

peace and love,
jane
 
Great read by Sharon Salzberg
Blueberry Cardamom Chia Pudding

Equipment:
Blender

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chia seeds (white or black)
2 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup blueberries, preferably organic, fresh or frozen
1 ½ tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ cup maple syrup (you can use agave, but I haven’t)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Procedure:
Measure and put chia seeds in a large bowl that will accommodate at least 4-6 cups.

Place all ingredients (EXCEPT CHIA SEEDS) in a blender (I use my Vitamix) and blend on high until smooth.

Pour blueberry/almond milk mixture over chia seeds and mix well with a fork or a whisk.

Let sit for five minutes.

Mix well (again) with a fork or a whisk and let sit for ten more minutes.

Stir again. Cover. Refrigerate overnight.

Stir. If too think, add some almond milk.

Texture is similar to tapioca (very small beads.)

Enjoy!




No comments:

With Metta, from My Little Blue Heron's Kitchen

Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks

Print This Page Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks Adapted from Lyle’s Golden Syrup by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen Dedicated to Leon Pozni...

My Little Blue Heron's Arsenal