Monday, April 20, 2009

Spinach Salad with Mustard and Anchovy Vinaigrette


Wash and spin dry about a pound of fresh spinach. Keep cold and moist in the fridge until ready to dress and serve.

Dressing:
1/4 cup excellent quality extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. Moutarde à L'Ancienne (or better, Moutarde d'Orléans - which you can order online here. It's pricey, but it's entirely worth it (read about it first and then just trust me - it's a fraction of what Eli charges for it at The Vinegar Factory - you could choke on his prices.)  My friend, Geraldine Dutroncy, a fantastic pianist who lives in a stone house on the Loire taught me about this mustard.  She also taught me about Anik Goutal's perfume, Eau D'Hadrien.  
3 plump Anchovy Fillets (the flat ones in oil - I used jarred)
1 Tbsp. White Balsamic Vinegar
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Parmigiano Reggiano (the really good, aged one)

Mash the anchovies in a mortar and pestle and whisk together with ingredients. Alternatively, use a food processor (a little one), or work very hard with the back of a fork.  I originally tried using an immersion blender and I ruined one of my favorite sweatshirts. Really, the best thing to do is to buy a mortar and pestle.  They're great looking and they won't ruin your clothes.  Here's a set of three porcelain mortar and pestles for $12.00. One reviewer says she used the smallest one to grind dog pills.  If nobody thanks me for this lead, I'll be astonished. 

Chill overnight for the best taste.

Spoon over chilled, washed spinach leaves and toss.  Microplane a generous quantity of Parmigiano over the dressed spinach and toss.  Grind some fresh pepper.

Some additions:
homemade croutons
shaved hard boiled egg
toss in some toasted pignolis 
mushrooms
paper-thin red onions and some orange zest
combinations of these


No comments:

With Metta, from My Little Blue Heron's Kitchen

Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks

Print This Page Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks Adapted from Lyle’s Golden Syrup by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen Dedicated to Leon Pozni...

My Little Blue Heron's Arsenal