Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Opening Day at Kennedy Plaza

A smile came to my face when I saw the white pointy tents all lined up in Kennedy Plaza. Opening Day at the Farmer's Market was a beautiful spring day, a break in our recent monsoon season, and the turnout, according to our wonderful market manager, Bernadette Martin, was excellent.


Some exciting new vendors this season:


Dan Madura offers fresh, organic and gorgeous mushrooms as well as other organic produce, including rhubarb, asparagus and fiddleheads. He's a wealth of information and a nice guy!


John King, our 'cheesemonger' from Amish Country, selling beautiful handmade cheeses (you can have a taste!), as well as cured meats, bacon, pickled things and fresh eggs is another cool vendor.


Red Jacket Orchards has returned with a fabulous variety of apples and jams and a new product called Apple Cider Molasses. You'll find it as an ingredient in my baked apples and applesauce recipes (coming soon).


And thank you, Dan Leader and Bread Alone, for your Sourdough Pain Levain. I think. I ate about a third of the loaf when I got home (with what seemed the only appropriate spread ... Beurre D'Isigny.)


I didn't have time to visit some of our other wonderful vendors ... for pasta and other fresh produce. Next Wednesday.


Be sure to stop by the Market Manager's table for your discount 'frequent flier's' card, and keep an eye out my recipe pamphlet in the next week or two!


Below are links to recipes at Blue Heron Kitchen that have ingredients that you can buy at the market.


Support the market! Buy eggs!! Buy rhubarb and spinach and greens and mushrooms!!!


There's a great salad dressing that you can make and drizzle over any of the beautiful fresh greens that are available at the market now.


And if you don't feel like cooking, just buy a hunk of cheese and a some bread, an apple or two .. and a bunch of flowers. Life doesn't get much better.


I hope you'll leave your comments. Let me know how these worked out for you and how you made them your own.


Peace and love,
Jane


Rhubarb Muffins
Fish in Rhubarb Sauce
Spinach Rhubarb Soup
Eggplant and Mushroom Stew
Mustard and Anchovy Vinaigrette

No comments:

With Metta, from My Little Blue Heron's Kitchen

Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks

Print This Page Raspberry Bakewell Flapjacks Adapted from Lyle’s Golden Syrup by My Little Blue Heron Kitchen Dedicated to Leon Pozni...

My Little Blue Heron's Arsenal